CAROL'S BLOG
Photobucket
My Blog

Tuesday, May 12, 2009
Mother's Day...



If there is anyone who has seen me at my lowest and ugliest beside God will be my Mummy. To be faithful, hopeful and enduring, in spite of what she has seen and went through, is the best gift that I have ever received from her! Mind you, we are really not perfect! But that's the beauty of it, imperfection bring out the greatness of love.
Nothing fanciful on Sunday but we bake cookie and cake together! When I was young, my mommy use to bake rock cake for me and my brother weekly! Its like a special treat and bonding time, while I lingered at the backyard seeing how she sift the flour, rub in the butter, mixed the batter and I will just talk and talk and talk to her... (YEP I am a Sanguine!) Waiting for the cookie and rock buns! The aroma of butter and cake saturated the house and coming home from school is always exciting and forwarding looking during those special days! (Yum Yum...cookies)



I have received quite a bit of flowers, folded paper hearts on Saturday and a bottled of freshly squeezed orange juice! Some of which call me their spiritual mom! (blush blush... you know who you are!) Thank you & I am honored, and I love you too!


However, Mother's day has always created mixed feeling for me. Don't get me wrong, I have a wonderful mom and I am grateful for her. But weighing heavily in my heart are for those who doesn't or those who have lost theirs and for those who long to be one.

I’ve never been married, never been pregnant, never been anywhere near becoming a mom. Most days this doesn’t bother me too much. But sometimes it does. (especially when I am surrounded with so many cute and adorable babies that I cant seem to get enough!) Never felt what its like to feel rejected and disconnected from the every woman that bore you for 9 months and are suppose to nurture and connect with you. Nor apprehend the emptiness and loss of a mom to death.

This twinge is especially likely to show up on Mother’s Day, when we often ask the oldest and most prolific moms in our church congregations to stand for admiration, applause, and a presents.

But I know that underneath those supportive smiles and clapping hands there are a lot of hurting women or child on Mother’s Day. Daughters, sons Or moms who just avoid mother's day in May.

I wish all of us who hurt on Mother’s Day could gather for our own celebration. We could cry and pray and rant and rejoice. We could alternately shake our fist at God and then lean into him for the only love that truly comforts. And we would look at each other with a shared knowing that this world is broken, and that this just happens to be how that brokenness has touched each of us.

Sometime, I imagine Jesus on Mother’s Day, thinking about his earthly mom, Mary. Reflecting on how she blindly trusted while he was nestled in her womb (Luke 1:38), how she nagged him to perform a miracle before it was his appointed time (John 2:1-11), how he likely broke her heart a bit when she went to see him once and he asked “who is my mother?” (Matthew 12:46-50), how he spent some of his dying breaths making sure she’d be taken care of (John 19:26-27). Surely our Savior understands the messy emotions of moms and motherhood and this special day we live out God’s command to honor these givers and protectors and nurturers of life.

So this Mother’s Day, I’ll celebrate with you my friends, no matter who you are, what you have gone through, what you have lost, what you are still waiting for, the constancy and surety of our loving, heavenly Abba.

Can words describe my gratitude and love for Mummy... Can I understand you enough even though I am not a mother yet? Can I ever repay you for what you have sacrifice... Can I ever thank you enough?

I don't know, all I know is that I want to learn to love you more everyday, to understand your heart, to be faithful like you have to me, to give and love like you have given and loved me. I just want to treasure you every single day!

posted by Caroline Tham @ 5/12/2009 12:32:00 AM

SUBSCRIBE



ABOUT ME

Photobucket

TAGBOARD


FACEBOOK

TWITTER

ARCHIVES


LINKS